Saturday, June 17, 2006

Making it through

We’re approaching mobility. I noticed a day ago that Luke had “made the bridge” – getting up on his hands and knees, which is the first step to crawling. Today he was rocking back and forth on his hands and knees. Any time now, he will be lunging forward and it’s all over for me. Back to baby gates, super-extra baby-proofed rooms (what the heck do I do with my lamps now?) and constant vacuuming and scanning for coins, etc on the floor. Joe is reasonably reliable now with those kinds of things, but I know I can’t watch all three at once. I’m just not that good of a mom. I’m not really sure that anyone is.


Speaking of mobility – Joe has a new toy! A neighbor boy grew out of his first little bike and offered it to Joe. It was such a generous gift! The little boy (he’s four) was over yesterday afternoon when I had to drag all of the kids inside (no small feat) for dinner. It was so cute how he reminded Joe, “You can’t leave the bike outside! You have to put it away!” What good parents he has! Now we know why the little bike was in such good shape.

Joe was so excited to see his first movie - "Cars". When you ask him what it was about, he will tell you: “Race Car!” We don’t think he followed the plot too well, but he got that down! He will also tell you that he had “pop (pause) kern,” which seems to be his new favorite treat. I know, I know, it’s a choking hazard, but at what point is he old enough for it? I about had a heart attack yesterday when I saw Patrick with a fist full of Joe’s popcorn. Previously, Joe has shared his carrots and his cucumber slices with the twins. The carrots just got licked, but the cucumber was a big hit. It must feel cool on the gums.


I hate to confess it, but I will. The first few (is 6 considered a few?) months of the twins life were not so good. The adjustment wasn’t pretty for any of us, most especially me. I don’t think I’ve ever made it on so little sleep, and there were lots of tears (not the babies’!) and more frustration and yelling that I will ever admit to. Poor Scott was putting in long hours at work every day in the midst of complete chaos in our home, day and night. I couldn’t have made it through without the wonderful ladies from church that came to help. Sometimes it was dinner or helping with laundry or clearing a path in my living room, but I think the thing that really helped get me through was seeing another adult during those long days. They were all so kind and caring. I was thinking about them all this week because I’m trying to get out thank you notes (quite a bit late, but those of you that got wedding gift thank yous from me know my track record!) Only one still comes and I think (I hope) she is about to work herself out of a job. I’m finally feeling in control again. I wish I had pictures of all these lovely ladies. We are so grateful for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home