Sunday, January 15, 2012

Those first precious smiles

Peter’s first smile came at 5:30 in the morning on the 13th.  Just a few hours shy of 5 weeks old.  But who’s counting? 

We had had a terrible night, and Scott had to be up early to take Grandpa to the airport to go home. (sniff, sniff!)  I was changing his diaper in the bathroom when his little head bonked the side of the sink.  I felt terrible! Poor baby!  That sound, the dull thud of a head hitting a hard surface, it was awful!  He just wailed.  As I was telling him I was sorry and cuddling and kissing him, he stopped crying pretty quickly and was watching me intently (to make sure I didn’t screw up again, I’m sure!)  Then, it happened.  He gave me the sweetest little one-sided smile.  It just melted my heart. 

As I was considering it later in the day, I kind of got misty.  I was contemplating all of the things in his lifetime that will delight him and make him smile - a good joke, a pretty girl, a joy-filled moment, a happy event - whatever it is, I got to be the first reason. Being a mom is awesome.

IMG_2929

Getting a picture of this smile is proving to be tough.  I’ll see what I can do.  In the meantime, here’s a shot of Peter in his Bumbo on the counter watching me make breakfast.  I don’t usually keep the Bumbo there, but he seemed to really want to watch all that was going on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home