Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Flying Solo

Mom left this morning.  It was hard not to break down and cry.  I know this is my fifth baby, but I really need my mom’s help when they come!  We don’t know what we would have done with out her.  Thanks, Mom!!!

As it was, Peter woke up at 3:30 this morning and was determined to not go back to sleep.  I stuck him in the swing and turned on the Christmas Tree lights.  For ONE SOLID HOUR, he stared at the lights quietly.  If I still have my tree up in July, you’ll all know why.

DSC01591

The later morning did not improve, either.  Finally, after feeding him twice in a row, I fell asleep holding him.  He must have fallen asleep, too (that’s the only possible way this scenario can work) because I woke up with my face kind of leaning forward on him.  I had DROOLED all over his head!!  Poor guy!

DSC01617

(If you were wondering how I got a few quiet minutes to even fall asleep on the couch with the baby, it was Grandma’s doing.  Last night we opened some Christmas gifts from her and Grandpa.  The Lego sets kept them busy and quiet for hours this morning.  Halleluiah!)

When I was in the hospital, I was joking with one of the young nurses about how I had to eat breakfast while nursing Peter.  “I’ve already eaten biscuit off of the top of his head”  She insisted that I was ‘joking’ and didn’t believe me.  Um, yeah, I’ve never eaten any food that fell on my kids’ heads… What I didn’t tell her was that it had a bit of jelly that I may or may not have licked off.  She was so appalled at the first confession, I couldn’t bear to shock her any more.  Clearly, that woman had no kids.

DSC01586

Heard around our house recently:

Joe:  When Peter is done milking, can we play Uno?

Andrew: (to mom who was holding a crying Peter) Put Peter over there! (pointing to the swing)

DSC01599

In other baby news, Peter has eyelashes now.  They are growing in slowly (okay, quickly, seeing as he’s only 12 days old…)  I forgot that they don’t have them when they’re born.  Seriously, I didn’t think that little guy could get any cuter!  Also, he had grey-ish blue eyes.  For an infant in this family, we call that pre-brown.

DSC01621

This picture doesn’t even really look like him.  He looks so fat and round-faced here, but he isn’t really.  I just thought it was a good shot of his dark eyes.

DSC01598

Don’t you wish you were snuggling up with this little sweetie right now?

DSC01628

And, in case you were wondering about practical matters with a new baby, yes, we are getting taken care of quite well with meals from fellow parishioners.  Today, we got this AWESOME cake with our dinner.  One of the moms bringing dinner had a boy that wants to go to culinary school so he’s taking a cake decorating class.  He made this gumball machine cake for us!  How cool is that?  People are so generous.  It’s really making us feel so at home.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ms. R 2 said...

Congratulations, Suzanne! Peter and all of the kids are cuties. I love your funny stories. And the comment about "milking" is priceless. :)

Merry Christmas!

Rachel

8:51 PM  
Blogger K Teson said...

I have definitely eaten food off of both my children's heads. But for me, it was more cookies & donuts.
My theory...the calories you consume while while breastfeeding don't count.
LOVE YOU!!!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Susan Husband said...

Suzanne, I love your blog so much! Mostly because I can feel your writing coming through the screen - 5 BOYS!!!!! Your family is awesome, and little Peter is just precious!

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home