Monday, October 20, 2008

Best Buds

Luke and Patrick do most things together for practical reasons. Sometimes I wonder if they want the other one around. They bicker and fight over toys like all siblings. Do they realize they're twins? Do they or will they have the typical twin bond? I'm not always sure. What we have seen is a realization that they belong together and that they care for each other in some very sweet ways.
.
The boys usually go to nap together and wake each other up at the same time, although we've long suspected that Patrick needs more sleep than Luke. When we noticed Luke was keeping Patrick away one day, I stuck Patrick in my bed. A few minutes later, Luke was screaming and crying. "I need Patrick," he said in a sad little voice.
.
At mealtimes, one or the other is helping me set the table and get ready. They always mention how Patrick needs his milk cup or Luke wants the Mickey Mouse spoon. When the vitamin bottle comes out, one will always pick out their brothers' favorite color to take to them if they're not right there.
.
Going to the Y the other day, Patrick was being a little difficult to deal with. "Cooperative little boys get to play games with mommy at the Y," I said. By the time we got to the Y, Patrick was still not being a cooperative little boy, so Luke and I left him in kidcare to go play basketball and goof off in the gym together. Luke's excitement about having mom all to himself waned pretty quickly. "I want Patrick to play." He seemed bored without his best buddy.
.
Also at the Y, I watch the boys when I come pick them up from kidcare before they know I'm there. Most of the time, they are playing together. If not, when one sees me first, he doesn't run to me. Instead, he runs to his twin to make sure he knows the exciting news.
.
Patrick and Luke shown here enjoying our visitor "Sundae," the neighbor's guinea pig. Sundae stayed with us while they showed their house. With our pig-sitting, the house sold in eight days.
.
I've heard many different theories and practices of twin rearing. They go from making "twin-ness" the main identifier of their children all the way to over emphasizing their individuality and never even calling them "twins." I will never have a license plate or bumper sticker announcing my parenthood of twins, but I will dress them kind of alike until they ask me not to. There's a balance there somewhere. I hope they are delighted to have each other and realize someday that God has given them a special gift to have an identical twin.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I miss something? What's in the cage in the kitchen? Is this where you keep Andrew? :)

6:39 AM  
Blogger Scott and Suzanne said...

Sorry. I added it in. Blogger locked up on me and I couldn't correct the text so I published it and planned to fix it later. Andrew had other plans for me. Ah, life.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of "pig-sitting" commission do you get for helping them sell their house that quickly?

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Suzanne! Your family is beautiful! Thank goodness for blogs, I can keep us with all the time now.
We haven't checked in with our kid blog in ages. Thanks to the most recent comments by you and Emily, we updated some photos.

Where in the world are you? We wonder about you and the FOCUS gang all the time! How can I find you to send you a proper message?
Erin&Andy

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home