Tuesday, July 31, 2007

5 years ago today...

Five years ago today, my grandmother died. She was a great lady. She was pretty adventurous for a grandma – she loved to travel and dance and, if I remember correctly, she loved Chinese food and pizza. I enjoyed her a lot more as an adult than as a kid. We used to visit and play 10-point pitch. She would tell stories about when she dated as a girl and how strict her parents were. She loved babies and would have loved being around all of her great-grandchildren – 11 of them now.

The day before she died, we were talking about Scott – Scott and I were just dating at the time – and Grandma told me that she had already bought my wedding gift! I expressed surprise, and she just winked and smiled. She really liked Scott. The day she died, Scott had picked me up from work and took me to the hospital to visit her. She was awake and cheerful. Scott had brought her some stargazer lilies. She reminded us that her wedding flowers were lilies and how much she loved them. (Scott was feeling pretty good about all of the brownie points he just scored with my family ;)) She died later that night with most of the family near.

The days and weeks after her death, I knew for sure that I should marry Scott. He had known for a while, but I think Grandma was nudgingme and winking from heaven. Thanks, Grandma!

Sorry for the blurry picture – it’s all I could find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home